We Can Do More
According to the Division of Criminal Justice Services "Domestic Homicide in New York State 2013" report; Herkimer County and Oneida County alone had an astounding count of 14 domestic-related homicides from 2009-2013. These figures include both intimate partner and other family-member related incidents. One life is too many.
We know that early education and prevention is key.
Key Initiatives for Kristin's Fund include:
- Provide a sustainable funding source for prevention education
- Establish a "Men's Initiative" to focus on young men and boys and developing healthy attidudes toward women and understanding of true "masculinity"
- To lead and drive the community in taking steps to prevent domestic violence and be a voice where we are needed.
Invest in a Media Campaign to increase awareness about:
- What constitutes abuse (texting, stalking, etc.)
- What to do if you are in an abusive relationship
- The programs that exist to help
- Begin and sustain a social media campaign so that we are effectively reaching a younger audience through their primary source of communication
- Update brochures and other outreach materials